The Disadvantaged Business Enterprise certification program is a Federal program. The purpose is to increase the participation of certified DBEs in projects funded by the US Department of Transportation and other federal sectors. Projects typically include heavy construction, such as building and designing roads, bridges, railroads, ports, and airports.
The Program is governed by the U.S. Federal Regulations in 49 CFR Parts 26 and 23.
The Virginia Unified Certification Program includes two certifying agencies:
- The Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (DSBSD)
- The Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority (MWAA)
There is no need to submit an application to both agencies. Federal DBE certification by either agency is fully accepted throughout Virginia.
If you plan to participate in the procurement process of the Commonwealth of Virginia, you need to apply for SWaM certification, not DBE certification. To apply for SWaM certification, please click here.
The DBE certification process differs depending on if you are an in-state or out-of-state firm.
If you have never applied to either of Virginia's SWaM or DBE programs, you will first need to proceed to Section A to generate a tracking number for your firm. Otherwise, you will use the SWaM or DBE tracking number that you were previously assigned.
All out-of-state applicants must submit:
A complete copy of the DBE application form, all supporting documents, and any other information you have submitted to your home state or any other state related to your firm's certification. This includes affidavits of no change, updated tax documents, and any notices of changes that you have submitted to your home state, as well as any correspondence you have had with your home state's UCP or any other recipient concerning your application or status as a DBE firm.
You must also provide any notices or correspondence from states other than your home state relating to your status as an applicant or certified DBE in those states. For example, if you have been denied certification or decertified in State C, or subject to a decertification action there, you must inform us of this fact and provide all documentation concerning this action.
If you have filed a certification appeal with US DOT, you must inform us of this fact and provide your letter of appeal and DOT's response.
You must submit an affidavit sworn to by the firm's owners before a person who is authorized by State law to administer oaths or an unsworn declaration executed under penalty of perjury of the laws of the United States. This affidavit must affirm that you have submitted all the information required by items 1-3 above and the information is complete and, in the case of the information required item 1, is an identical copy of the information submitted to your home state. The Affidavit form can be found below:
The DBE Certification process has several steps:
- If you have not previously applied online for DBE or SWaM certification, please go to Section A. Otherwise go to Section B.
- Complete the DBE Uniform Certification Application Form, and the Personal Networth Statement.
- Get the Application Form (Affidavit of Certification) and the Personal Networth Statement notarized
- Collect copies of the Supporting Documentation on the checklist at the end of the Application form.
- Send the Application forms package, plus the supporting documents in to us at the address at the bottom of this page.
- Once we have a complete file, we will arrange for an Onsite Visit to your Company
If you need assistance in applying for the DBE certification, please contact our regional offices for appointments with the Business Development Specialists. Click here for office contact information.
New DBE Application (Firms have not previously applied, whether the process was completed or not, online at the DSBSD website for SWaM or DBE certification):
DBE Application (Firms have previously applied online at the DSBSD website for SWaM or DBE certification):
Annual Submission Requirement for Currently-Approved DBEs:
Once you are certified as a DBE, you are required to submit, annually, the following documents to our office prior to your anniversary date. We will send you an email reminder 60 days prior to your anniversary date. Please keep your email address current with us.
- Virginia Unified Certification Program Yearly Update Form with Affidavit Of Continued Eligibility (fillable PDF)
- Personal Financial Networth Statement (fillable PDF)
- Last year's signed and dated Federal personal and business taxes. Please do not send the State tax returns.
** Please Note you will need Adobe’s Acrobat Reader (.pdf) or Microsoft Word Reader (.doc) in order to view some of the documents on this page. To view these files in another format, contact firstname.lastname@example.org